Go Back to 100kGarages.com

Advanced

Project Board Updates

Project Board Updates
July 23, 2012 03:14PM
Fabbers and Designers we are "cleaning house" in the Project Board area. We are working to clear out of date projects off the list - this will make the Project Board load faster and give you the opportunity to bid on relevant timely jobs.

Existing projects with no activity will be cleared off the list after 4 months. Makers who post the projects will be alerted 1-2 weeks prior and can reactivate their project and/or ask for assistance to get more activity.

Thank you
Admin@100kGarages.com
Re: Project Board Updates
August 03, 2013 09:36AM
Looking for help/advice

Thank you,

JB
Attachments:
open | download - 15.JPG (97.3 KB)
open | download - pt-02 (2).JPG (117 KB)
open | download - Drawing13 (2).pdf (118.2 KB)
August 04, 2013 10:21AM
Updates to Periodic Table of the Elements Shelving Unit project.

Joseph Bova
Attachments:
open | download - 113.dxf (84.1 KB)
open | download - Capture.JPG (188.5 KB)
August 11, 2013 01:03AM
I am very remiss in not posting sooner but the tribulations of retirement, old age and a really busy summer have distracted me.

My "Project" was/is a rubber casting, actually polyurethane, of an extinct Pioneer turntable foot part. Three specific turntables, manufactured in the '70s, attained the ultimate level of performance for the media just before CDs came on the scene. Competitors such as the Technics brand continued production up to the present day... at sky high prices. the Pioneers were an excellent alternative but the feet broke off. The culprit was an insulator in the foot assembly that was no longer in production and totally unavailable.

There are bazillions of LPs still available through used record stores, thrift stores and the like. There are modern digital computer programs at a very reasonable price to convert these LPs to a digital format very easily. There are also many audiophiles who prefer the analogue sound and swear to it's fidelity. I was in the audio business in the '70s so I had a sense of the marketing possibilities.

I submitted a request to 100K Garages and over a period of a month or so received a number of bids and emails of interest. I went with 'Confounded Machine" , owner Curt Filipowski in Canada. We proceeded to hash out the design from drawings I made from measurements of one (1) good insulator I had. There were some teething problems but we settled on a price and quantity, which I put up for sale on eBay. After some fits and starts I got the eBay site set up to my satisfaction and waited to see what happened. It took a month or so to get the viewings up but after a bit, I started to get some sales. The volume of sales went up to the point where I was selling an average of 12 pieces a month where it has consistently stayed. My original production run has run out and I am awaitng my second run. I am very pleased with the results, have received many positive reviews from customers but to be honest, eBay is cumbersome and it is frustrating to have to deal with with some of their procedures. ie. Some customers make mistakes in their ordering quantity and it is very difficult to resolve these mistakes. But that is a problem with eBay...

Curt has been the model of a good supplier and I am very pleased with his product. Works great!

This has been a lot of fun! I am not getting rich with it but the satisfaction of producing a product and successfully marketing it at a profit has been a wonderful experience. I have already started thinking about other projects. EEEHAW!
September 15, 2014 08:47PM
Martin,

I really liked your story. Let me know if you have found other project ideas, or have continued with the sales through Ebay.

My results with Ebay have been fairly good, just selling old stuff, and I find it to be quite time consuming also.

I have a lot of experience with music related items, but, have just started looking into project ideas myself. Let me know if you need something.

Thanks, Mike
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.