Go Back to 100kGarages.com

Advanced

Market Suggestion

Posted by alan wernstrum 
Market Suggestion
August 02, 2014 04:04PM
Hello, I'm new to this forum and joined to provide a suggestion. It may have been approached previously but it may need to be addressed again. I am preparing to build a boat within 18 months and am on a number of boat building forums and a subject that comes up often is having their plans converted to CAD to have one's parts CNC cut to save time on their build. For most, finding a shop/small business with a CNC router system is a difficult task for them. If you are interested in this type of work I would suggest that you post your services on the forums for boat building every 6 months to keep your name in front of the market. Make sure you state your locale as shipping materials can run the cost of the project up to a point that it could put the project out of the reach of their budget. That means there are plenty of areas to be serviced. Boat building is quite popular at this point in time and potentially a good market for CNC cutting.

Either have the knowledge to convert boat plans to CAD and CNC cutting would be advantageous or have available a qualified CAD draftsman with those skills available to do that portion of the job. Suggested cost for that portion of the service has been to charge by the frame/panel and plan on an hour per frame to accomplish. Based on qualified skill to be able to do a frame per hour. This was brought up by a CNC cutting business who has been doing this for a number of years. Some plans are already available with the prerequisite cutting data subsequently one would not be required to deal with that aspect of the job.

What this service provides the builder are parts that are accurately cut and ready to be utilized and efficient use of materials with skillful layout on the ply panels. This will not, more than likely, keep one busy full time, but would provide another source of income for those who are looking for additional work. I for one will be looking for such a shop as I want to complete my hull in as short of time as possible and be able to use my project for my enjoyment. It will provide a labor saving service that would be most appreciated.

Hope this may assist some out there. If you have any other questions, please email/pm me and I will try to answer to the best of my knowledge or refer you to those that have more knowledge than me. Best to you all.

Alan

ps: I found this forum via ShopBot web page and their forum.
Re: Market Suggestion
September 15, 2014 09:00PM
Hi Alan,

This sounds like something that I could do for you, or another boat builder. As I understand you, from the posting (Aug.2, 2014) you have plans that are on blueprints or another type of printout, and you want a CAD version. Your goal is then to have the CAD send out to a CNC shop in the builders area, or to a shop that could cut the parts and ship to the builder.

I can do this, and send the "frames" back as CAD.dwg files, and also CAD.dxf files that most CNC software can utilize to cut the parts.

Let me know if you'd like me to give it a whirl.

Mike
November 03, 2014 10:48AM
Alan,
Thank you very much for the suggestion as I have been very interested in cutting parts for boat builders. We are a very small CNC shop that has a 4'x8' CNC Router that can easily cut out ply panels. Look forward to future suggestions and if you are or know someone that is interested in getting their parts cut, please feel free to PM me so we may exchange contact information.
April 24, 2015 01:28PM
Hi, Allen. I happen to have done this some years ago for a friend in Mass. He had plans for an old fashioned guide boat and needed the old page scanned and converted to CAD, and also a 3D model of the parts and how they were to be assembled. The page he offered was from an 1896 book of boat plans. I scanned and traced the parts in AutoCad and then built the boat in 3D with those parts to make certain everything fit correctly. Sent him the file on CD and he had the plans printed to full scale and then built the boat. So, I see what you are saying exactly.I had not really thought of this as a needed service. But, your suggestion has lit my "light bulb".

I've been working in Autocad for more than 25 years. I was among the first here in Las Vegas to start creating 3D architectural models in digital format.

Thanks JB
Re: Consignment Sales
May 09, 2015 10:57PM
I am opening up a Gallery in Salisbury NC and am interested in connecting with others in the CNC community. I have a 4x8 Shopbot ATC and a 4x4 4 2hp spindle shopbot buddy and an 85watt Trotec laser and have had no luck selling my ideas or products at other stores. For the past 20 years my efforts have been on producing portable buildings, now I want to effect the home garage cnc shops. Hence a store that only sales cnc produced items. Uniquely cnc produced from American garages. Is there anyone interested? This could turn out to be a unique Gallary.

It is best to contact me at: 704-798-1994 or kenschwendinger@gmail.com or mail too Ken Schwendinger
5350 Statesville Blvd
Salisbury NC 28147

I have about a year before opening the doors so there is plenty of time to get creative and make something that is uniquely yours. All ideas will be entertained.
September 15, 2015 05:38AM
Our Services
Our Promise
Residential or Commercial
We've got all your needs covered:
Don't hesitate to ask us a question or inquire as to why a certain process has to take place. All of our staff are friendly and knowledgeable because we know what it's like to be in your shoes. We want you to know just how special you and your project are to us, so we do our very best to ensure that you and your needs always come first. We even have a complimentary estimate where we'll come out to you!
Our work is good. We promise. And behind that promise, we want you to know that we back our work with a satisfaction guarantee. We won't stop working until you like what we've done.
We Build Your Dreams Come True
CATEGORIES:
Woodworker, Sign Shop, Graphic Designer, Cabinet Maker, Cabinet Store, Kitchen Remodeler, Bathroom Remodeler, Kitchen Furniture Store, Furniture Maker, Drafting Service
Residential & Commercial, Custom Furniture, Cabinets, Closets, Vanities, Bars, Kiosks ....
Retail stores, specialized display cases, Pharmacies, Laboratories, Medical Offices....
3D Modeling, Graphic design,
Signage, 3D Letters, Arts & Crafts
Bathroom & Kitchen remodeling
No job is too big or too Small, We operate State of the Art CNC Router [Computer Numerical control]

"We have a Beautiful Business and a Beautiful Day , We do a Beautiful Job for a Beautiful Pay"

"We can Build your dreams come true"
Attachments:
open | download - 65048ad1176d1ed09924fb9c5492fdf5.jpg (78.2 KB)
September 17, 2015 10:22PM
@Alan,
Since I'm new to this forum, I really appreciate the friendly market advice.
As a Naval Ship Designer who is close to retirement, I have been slowly acquiring the tools needed to produce nested parts. Subject matter which is exactly what you're referring to.

This website seems promising, but I've noticed that some rules and procedures are lacking. Either new web controls should be implemented or a review of policies, for members to abide by, taken seriously. Most projects posted for bids never "Close Out". The project requester should have a little more courtesy to the bidders; for not wasting their time with dead projects.

Also, it's a little aggravating to spend time with submitting a question about a project; only to never get an answer back. The Fabbers are fielding a project for help, and the project requester should respond in kind.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2015 01:29AM by (n/a).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.