Go Back to 100kGarages.com

Advanced

Getting a project made

Posted by Gregory Cropp 
Getting a project made
November 17, 2014 04:16PM
Hello All,
I’m looking for advice on a project I’d like to proceed with and would appreciate some guidance from members of the forum if possible. I make a small piece of computer furniture called the KwikPit, it’s a cockpit type set up that is used with flight simulation gaming.

I make the units by hand which is turning into an impossible task considering consistency and time which is where a CNC router would come in. just talking to the large manufacturers makes someone give up on doing a project if they want less than an n ( 100-500 or more) number of pieces. I’ve been a member for a while and figured this is a good place to start.

I have drawings of the unit with measurements but they are not CAD drawings. I assume the first thing to do is find a designer to produce a CAD file.

I’m assuming the next thing would be for a fabber to produce a prototype to see where things need to be adjusted. There’s probably many steps in between but that’s the general idea I assume.

Some general info is that it will made of colored laminated 5/8”particle board like the furniture you see in Walmart and other places. It will be assembled using the Titus 5 system which uses cams and dowels like the majority of the RTA stuff you see today.

I’m attaching a couple of pics of the unit for a general idea of what it looks like. I appreciate any guidance or advice from anyone on the forum that has a thought about what I’m attempting to do, I'm in Denver Colorado.
Thanks,
Greg
Attachments:
open | download - MVC-686S.JPG (36 KB)
open | download - MVC-682S.JPG (36.1 KB)
Re: Getting a project made
December 16, 2014 08:47PM
Gregory Cropp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello All,
> I’m looking for advice on a project I’d like
> to proceed with and would appreciate some guidance
> from members of the forum if possible. I make a
> small piece of computer furniture called the
> KwikPit, it’s a cockpit type set up that is used
> with flight simulation gaming.
>
> I make the units by hand which is turning into an
> impossible task considering consistency and time
> which is where a CNC router would come in. just
> talking to the large manufacturers makes someone
> give up on doing a project if they want less than
> an n ( 100-500 or more) number of pieces. I’ve
> been a member for a while and figured this is a
> good place to start.
>
> I have drawings of the unit with measurements but
> they are not CAD drawings. I assume the first
> thing to do is find a designer to produce a CAD
> file.
>
> I’m assuming the next thing would be for a
> fabber to produce a prototype to see where things
> need to be adjusted. There’s probably many steps
> in between but that’s the general idea I assume.
>
>
> Some general info is that it will made of colored
> laminated 5/8”particle board like the furniture
> you see in Walmart and other places. It will be
> assembled using the Titus 5 system which uses cams
> and dowels like the majority of the RTA stuff you
> see today.
>
> I’m attaching a couple of pics of the unit for a
> general idea of what it looks like. I appreciate
> any guidance or advice from anyone on the forum
> that has a thought about what I’m attempting to
> do, I'm in Denver Colorado.
> Thanks,
> Greg

Greg,
I know your post is a little dated, but I can help you produce a CAD drawing/s as well as the cutting of your parts. Please let me know if you are still looking for someone to help you along. Thanks!
Re: Getting a project made
September 14, 2015 11:01PM
I have a small garage based business making custom bass fishing lures for Mexico bound bass fisherman. My business is located in Southern Arizona, not far from the Mexican boarder. Many of my products are custom made by carving a model from wood or clay and creating a silicone or plaster mold to injection mold plstisol or cast from lead in the case of jig heads and spinnerbaits. I have looked into purchasing a desktop CNC to produce molds for these baits but, I am not convinced the desktop CNC is capable of producing aluminum molds accurately. I also lack the time at this point to invest in the learning curve. It is too lengthy and my time is limited due to other demands of the business. I am looking for a fabricator who has CAD & CAM capabilities to convert my masters to a digital file and cut aluminum two part molds for the baits. It seems to me the easiest way to get the CAD drawing is to scan the master models and amend the design to fit the CNC requirements. I have posted a Fabrication Bid on the 100KGarage Website and hope to hear from some of you who are interested in the project.
Thanks for any advice or assistance you can provide.
Mike

Attached is a photo of one of my baits in the original master state.
Attachments:
open | download - T-REX MASTER-sm.jpg (45.8 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.